Chapter 5

I particularly enjoyed chapter 5 in Marris’ book because she takes a respite from her main point of promoting natures existence in the now human dominated ecosystem and urban settings. In chapter 5 Marris addresses that possibly some human intervention may be need to combat the changing ecosystems. Centered on the impact of climate change, Marris introduced the idea of assisted migration. She explains this idea as a means of helping save potentially extinct species in a last resort situation. Due to global warming, ecosystems have been shifting to more northern regions. Plants and animals that at one time could survive in a certain area are now being pushed further up to climates that are more suitable.

There has been much controversy surrounding this issue because physically moving animals from one habitat to another would be voluntarily increasing the population of invasive species which goes against many efforts that ecologists are making to try remove invasive species from such populated areas. Working to build back an area baseline would be done in vain with the introduction of new species. However, on the other hand of the argument, in order to increase biodiversity or rather maintain the existence of threatened species, assisted migration is promoted as a savior of sorts to cold climate species.

In my opinion, assisted migration can be a mutually beneficial effort if the necessary research is done on the species being moved, its natural habitat and the best possible ecosystem to move it into. If the migrating species is properly matched up with a compatible ecosystem, without the chance of it dying off or becoming invasive, then I would definitely approve of assisted migration because it would maintain and possibly increase the earth’s biodiversity as well as local biodiversity. However, the issue of what will become of the earths warming mountain peaks and the areas surrounding them is a potential point of contention. By moving species away from these areas, any hope there was of sustaining the mountain peaks may be considerably lessened. From a short-term perspective, I would agree with assisted migration. However, from a long- term point of view, where the eventualities are numerous, I would not be so quick to relocate a entire population of a species.

With regards to urban ecology, I again agree that maybe small-scale versions of assisted migration may enhance an ecosystem’s sustainability. At the same time, I feel that the chances of human caused disturbances affecting a species, even after being relocated pose a threat to the initiative. I would imagine that there would also be more opposition from city residents on the topic of introducing a large population of a foreign species in to the neighboring area. The major conflict with this action is that it relies upon actively moving invasive species unto areas where their affects will be unknown. Another argument that Marris presents in this chapter is that promoting assisted migration detracts from the main issue of global warming. Rather than seeking to lower emissions, ecologists suggest moving animals as a result. With the many issues surrounding this topic I am not sure how it will play out. Hopefully, we will be able to preserve land , lower emissions as well as maintain biodiversity.

This entry was posted in 09/13: Puth & Burns (2009), Marris chap 5, Weekly Readings. Bookmark the permalink.