High Line

After many years and billions of dollars, the old railroad site turned into a rambunctious garden. When I first encountered the Emma Mariss’s idea of rambunctious garden, I automatically recalled my visits to the High Line Park. According to Staler, the park “consisted of 161 species in 122 genera in 48 families”. Located on the busy west strip of Manhattan, the park brings one of the most natural environments. Manhattan already has the Central Park to promote natural species and expansion of foreign species. What makes the High Line different from the Central Park is that from the High Line, you can see cars and stores from every corner.

strolling with a cup of iced-coffee

strolling with a cup of iced-coffee

The Park does not consist the pristine nature that many environmentalist and ecologists seek for. The park is basically the rambunctious garden that Marris introduced. It merges the busy city ecosystem with most natural ecosystem. The park is not exactly polished like central park. Grasses, short trees, flowers, and weeds make exceptional natural feeling in the middle of the city. Also, the park made what-seems-impossible assisted migration possible. May foreign species became adapted to unique setting of the park’s nature and the city.

yellow flowers! (look close there is a butterfly)

I’ve been to the park several times before but I have not noticed the flowers, grasses, and animals so closely. The park was more diverse than I thought. There was many different species of flowers but mostly there was yellow flowers called asteraceae (Staler said that the asteraceae is one of “largest families of flora”) I looked closely and there was at least a single bee per flower bush. It was the pollinators that prospered the special ecosystem of the High Line. If the pollinators did not adapt to the setting, the garden wouldn’t be as prosperous as it s now. It was overwhelming to see well-working natural ecosystem in the middle of the concrete jungle.

do you see it?

a bee!

**sorry for the quality, the picture was taken with my smart phone

This entry was posted in Scientific Work. Bookmark the permalink.