HighLine

The High Line, rail line turned park, is situated on New York City’s West Side running along downtown Manhattan. It is home to vegetation and tourists. Both come from various corners of the world, but they all end up on a beautiful walkway. Plant species of all shape, sizes, and colors can be found on a great view of the city. The expansive plant life here at the High Line has flourished due to the help of supportive non-profit organizations such as the Friends of High Line and nature’s natural helpers. These natural helpers consist of several pollinators, including species such as bees, flies, and birds.

I have visited the high line several times before and the park still amazes me. The architectural design turns the park into a cultural tourist attraction for many. The park includes benches, several eateries, and even a glass overview of the traffic below. There is always music playing by the bands and musicians who come to play every time I visit. Some people even come to spend their time reading and sunbathing. The true beauty of the High Line is even further proven by the wedding couple and their photographer going around the park probably adding to their wedding album.

On my most recent visit to the High Line, the wind was quite strong. Nevertheless, I happened to come across the previously mentioned natural supporters. The bees flew from flower to flower, plant to plant, sometimes flowing with the current of the wind. After a quickly collecting some nectar, they would seamlessly float to the next plant. Once the temperature rose, more insects appeared. It was strange to see several areas lacked some pollinators. This is probably due to the different species or the interaction of human beings. I came across this one plant species where all three species of pollinators cohabited. Bees and flies flew from flower to flower without any disturbance. As I passed by, I noticed something inside the bussel of leaves. Birds were inside, sitting on the branches. Oddly enough, one of the birds didn’t seem to mind my photo taking. It is thanks to these pollinators that pollen and sometimes even seeds get passed on from plant to plant from all over the city.

Stalter’s paper, The Flora of the High Line describes the High Line in a way I find it very different from my own experiences. The High Line, according to Stalter, has several environmental variables including tall buildings that shade some plant life and human beings transporting seeds and cutting vegetation. However, the paper goes on to say that human beings leave tires, bottles and additional trash. On my experiences, I have not even noticed a single piece of trash among the plants or even on the board walks. The park seems quite clean and it retains its natural beauty amongst the jungle of the city. I do agree with the fact that since the park is present in an urban setting, it provides an example of Marris’ goal for a “rambunctious garden.” Numerous species of plant life dwell in the confides of a single park. Species of animals and insects live here and provide natural support to the well-being of the High Line. Human beings themselves seem to be quite respectful to their surroundings nowadays and any deliberate harmful interference is left at the lower street levels of Chelsea.

This entry was posted in 09/20: Stalter (2004), Scientific Work. Bookmark the permalink.