Low Hanging Fruits on the High Line

A view from the High Line – 23rd Street Entrance

In Marris’ description of the “rambunctious garden,” she imagines a partially managed environment. One that boasts a combination of implanted species and native species, controlled by humans and made to coexist peacefully with our existence and constant development. Our former preconceived notions about the wilderness were not feasible for modern human development. Rather we had to embrace our growth and incorporate bits and pieces of pre-existing species into developed area. Marris did leave a word of warning to the dangers of practicing assisted migration and tampering with nature’s balance.

New York is the perfect environment that best demonstrates efforts to preserve nature and introduce nature in areas that scream urbanization. The High Line Park is one such example. The High Line, located on 10th Avenue, runs from Gansevoort St. up to West 30th Street. Its original intended purpose was to “support the weight of four fully-loaded freight trains” and was built to “last hundreds of years” (Stalter). It was always meant for greatness and when it was destroyed, a non-profit organization fought to preserve it and transform what was left into an “elevated rail viaduct near the Bartille Opera House in Paris, the Promenade Plantee” (Stalter). 4 billion dollars later, New Yorkers now get to enjoy a great park and the species indigenous and implanted.

Pollinator #1

Assisted migration became a reality. High Line Park refutes any impossibilities that says species are not able to survive and flourish in another ecosystem. Plant species that were not native to New York settled quite comfortably in the subtler climate of the west side of the city.  The High Line “consisted of 161 species in 122 genera in 48 families” (Stalter). Native species made up 50.9% of the flora.

As I traversed the High Line, I observed the interaction between the species in the ecosystem. I could not capture the white-pinkish hued birds that kept swooping down every time a tourist dropped a muffin crumb or fruit and returning to perch on the corners of high-rise luxury condos.

Pollinator #2

It’s exciting to see an ecosystem rich in biodiversity and unique to itself. While Marris states the dangers and irresponsibility within scientists that do not conduct enough research or one who do and do not take into account microorganism whose behavior cannot be predicted.  Fortunately I caught many pollinators that day I visited the High Line Park. After a couple minutes of walking, these little buggers were zipping around from plant to plant. I even found a species resembling a fig tree. It’s always a treat to walk through the corridors of Chelsea’s “rambunctious garden.” You always find what you’re not looking for and the High Line Park’s popularity is a statement in itself. Mankind simply needs more gardens.

This entry was posted in Scientific Work. Bookmark the permalink.