The High Line and Stalter

Me (center), at the High Line, with my friends

On Thursday, September 20th, 2012, I visited the High Line for the first time. I must admit that I was a bit surprised by the atmosphere. I could not believe how this one strip of land had developed in an urban neighborhood. The contrast between the High Line and its surrounding neighborhood was remarkable.

While visiting the High Line, I took many pictures of pollinators in the area. There were many different species of pollinators including bees, flies, and butterflies. One of the more common pollinators was the eastern bumble bee, which was found pollinating the compass plant near West 21st Street. Another common pollinator was the honey bee, which was found pollinating the broadleaf ironweed near West 16th Street. The long-horned bee was another common pollinator, which was found pollinating the compass plant near West 19th Street.  Another common pollinator was the leafcutter bee, which was found pollinating the aromatic aster near West 12th Street. In addition to bees, there were many flies that were pollinating plants in the area. For example, there were green flies and cluster flies. These flies were seen on many sections throughout the High Line but were too quick to capture on camera. Another pollinator that was seen but not captured on camera was a white butterfly and a butterfly that was orange and had black spots. One interesting note about the pollinators on the High Line was that many of the species coexisted and did not seem to dominate over one particular area.

The High Line definitely fits into Marris’s concept of Rambunctious Garden. This is because Marris preaches that no ecosystem is pristine. She takes a laissez-faire approach to ecosystem management and believes that humans should not interfere with ecosystems and attempt to restore them to a specific baseline. Marris finds beauty in the new ecosystems that are being created today. She would definitely think of the High Line in a positive way. This is because the ecosystem on the High Line developed naturally after the railroad that used to run there was abandoned in 1980. Primary succession is occurring on the High Line and there are many lichens, shrubs, and mosses that have developed in the area, as shown by Richard Stalter. In addition, humans have transported foreign species to the area and have altered the habitat. However, as Stalter points out, these human alterations might explain why the High Line has one of the most diverse species populations in New York City. Stalter’s study shows that the High Line contains at least 161 species in 122 genera and 48 families and that the High Line has greater species richness than four nearby New York City sites including Bayswater State Park and Ellis Island. These facts show that the High Line would definitely fit into Marris’s concept of Rambunctious Garden. This is because the High Line has been allowed to develop on its own with very little interference and is still a beautiful place. In addition, people have added invasive species to the High Line and have altered it, but it still functions beautifully. Although it is not pristine, it is still naturally beautiful and very high in species diversity. Marris would consider the High Line to be a beneficial novel ecosystem.

Stalter’s research definitely has changed my viewpoint on ecology. This is because it is very interesting to see that a habitat could develop in an urban area and still be very rich in species diversity. His article makes me realize that there is no need for constant maintenance of ecosystems because they can develop on their own. Therefore, after reading the Stalter article and visiting the High Line, I believe my view on ecosystems has drawn closer to Marris’s view.

I think what was done to the High Line was a great idea. Abandoning the railroad and turning it into a pedestrian walkway is great for the city. Not only does it attract tourists, but it also attracts new and exotic species to the area. The High Line allows ecologists to study primary succession in an urban environment. It also acts as an escape for New Yorkers who want to get away from the stresses of urban life. In addition, the High Line can act as a prototype for the development of similar areas in other cities. All in all, I believe the High Line is great for New York City.

An eastern bumble bee pollinates a plant near West 23rd Street

An eastern bumble bee pollinates a compass plant near West 21st Street

An eastern bumble bee pollinates a Gibraltar bushclover near West 13th Street

A mysterious red and black insect resting on a plant near West 18th Street

A honey bee pollinates a broadleaf ironweed near West 16th Street

A long-horned bee pollinates a compass plant near West 19th Street

A mysterious brown and black insect on a plant near West 12th Street

This entry was posted in 09/20: Stalter (2004). Bookmark the permalink.