The NYC High Line

In Rambunctious Garden, Emma Marris criticizes previous practices of conservation of nature that focus on expelling the human element from nature. She presents the idea that humans should not be excluded from nature but rather involved in and intertwined with it. Her concept of a rambunctious garden is essentially nature made and maintained by humans.

The High Line on the west side of Manhattan, I believe, is the perfect description of Marris’ rambunctious garden. It was built in the 1930’s as an “elevated commercial rail line” to reduce the number of trucks and trains traveling along side pedestrians by introducing an alternate route. The highline carried commercial freight from 1934-1980 but the introduction of the interstate highway system in the 1950’s resulted in a decline in freight traffic and the final freight train to ride the High Line was in 1980. Deconstruction was began in the 1960’s of the southernmost section but and organization called Friends of the High Line stepped in and began advocating for the preservation of what was left from 13th to 34th street. Now, the High Line is a walkway above the building servicing as the perfect location for primary succession.

Going to the High Line a few days ago, I had absolutely no idea what to expect especially since the first time I had ever heard of it was when we were assigned to go there. My friends had informed me that it was an abandoned railroad system that has been transformed into a garden. I simply expected railroad tracks and some plants on the side, but BOY, was I surprised!

I was greeted by a beautiful terrace above the buildings, with tons of sunlight and an amazing diversity of plant and animal species. Although I was unable to identify them, I saw an infinite array of plant, shrubs, trees, flowers and several pollinators such as bees and flies. In my opinion, this is the perfect example of Marris’ rambunctious garden, a piece of nature that not only coexists with humans but was actually created and maintained by them. Another example of the way humans coexist with the highline was stated in Richard Slater’s The flora on the High Line, “human visitors to the High Line have probably inadvertently transported seeds to the site, a source of new species,” which contributes to the vast diversity of plants present.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed my visit to the High Line and am grateful that our city maintains projects of this kind that not only protect nature but create a beautiful place for New Yorkers to relax and enjoy it.

Pictures from the High Line, the library was full.

This entry was posted in 09/20: Stalter (2004). Bookmark the permalink.