Journal Reflection

Generally, my journals have been short and straight to the point, which is how I usually write. I do not see any change in my writing style, and the only difference I can see between my journals and my essays is the level of formality. My journals are less formal but are still structured similarly. Most of them are two paragraphs, unless the prompt covers multiple topics. My summaries have also been concise, but rather jumbled and unorganized.

I like my writing style, but it is difficult to write extended entries. The entry I like the most is the one about the American Dream in Bread Givers. It is the most structured journal with three paragraphs for each person mentioned. Each paragraph has a topic sentence and presents evidence to support the weak thesis.

Personally, I like note taking for more factual information like dates and events. Journal prompts focus the reading on a specific aspect for a more guided reading, which is good, but can be limiting. When given the prompts, one may only focus on answering the question instead of paying attention to the bigger picture of the whole chapter or book assigned. I like that journals add a more analytical take on readings, which helps in discussion.