Passing Sympathies

In the book, Passing by Nella Larsen, the two main characters are opposites in many ways except for appearance. They are both half white, half African American women who grew up together and live in a time when racial tensions were high. What is unique to them is that they are both light skinned enough to ‘pass’ for white. This is when their similarities stop. Clare decides to attempt to get a better life for herself by lying to her husband and society about her heritage. Irene, on the other hand, embraces her black side and stays within the community they grew up in.

It is easy to see Clare’s motivations for ‘passing’… she longs for a better life and the privilege that comes with the heritage, the reader can understand her desires and why she does what she does. However, the reader empathizes more with Irene because she chooses not to go the privileged way, she chooses not to renounce her heritage despite the lowered status she has as a result. We see Irene as a character who chooses to stand for her beliefs and not surround herself with people who hate a part of her and who repeatedly disrespect her race (as Clare Kendry’s husband does).

Additionally, Larsen decides to write the book in Irene’s point of view, which causes the reader to naturally sympathize with that character. We get to see Irene’s thoughts, her experiences, everything through Irene’s eyes. All the knowledge we get of Clare is through her interactions with Irene and Irene’s thoughts about her. This makes us naturally prejudice towards her. When we witness the effects Clare has on Irene’s marriage, we start to see her as a meddlesome, troublesome, careless woman who always wants to be the center of attention. We hardly think about her loneliness or how hard it must to be to live in a house where others despise parts of her. Even when Irene kills Clare I don’t believe sympathies change. That doesn’t mean the audience craves her death or destruction, just that the majority of the support still goes to Irene.

While readers can with both characters as they struggle with who they are, we applaud Irene for always being truthful (unless you count omission as dishonesty), for actively fighting for her race, and for not succumbing to the many advantages that come with ‘passing’. While I believe Irene is the more sympathetic and admirable character, I cannot conclusively say that, were I in their shoes, I would follow her path.

2 thoughts on “Passing Sympathies”

1. Claire’s death is intentionally ambiguous…she may have been intentionally pushed by Irene, as you say, accidentally pushed as Irene tries to protect her, not pushed at all and a suicide, or even possibly pushed by her husband (possibly somewhat inadvertently). It all happens very quickly and I’m not even sure Irene herself is sure, although I think it’s most likely one of the first two possibilities.