The Unreliable Narrator

Emma Lou, much life Irene, does give the narration of her story a subjective point of view. Just as Irene tries to make the readers sympathize with her stance on passing and racism, Emma Lou’s narration has several flaws in remaining objective. Since we are seeing the story through an unreliable narrator, Emma Lou’s upbringing is imbedded into the story throughout. She grew up believing that having lighter complexion is desirable. Her entire family, other than Joe, sees themselves as higher or superior compared than their black ancestors. She rejected two relationships on the basis that the other person was too dark skinned. In the end, she remained with Alva in an abusive relationship because he had fairer skin. I found that Emma Lou did not embrace her heritage as Irene did (on the surface).

This held me back from relating to her and rooting for her. Although I knew she was a product of her society, I couldn’t help but wish that she would stand up for herself and learn to love her roots. As Irene did. Of course, I too, am a product of my own society. I grew up to believe that we should embrace all cultures and fight for human rights, so I am judging Emma Lou harshly for her actions. From my point of view, it is natural for me to connect with Irene, who is having an internal struggle but overall wants to be proud of her heritage, as opposed to Emma Lou, who has no intention of associating herself with her ancestors.