Art is… Movement

highline pic 2, stillhighline pic 1 movement

While walking up the High line, as I have done countless times before, I began to contemplate exactly how the art of the High line itself work on us. That is to say, how it’s purposeful construction and design of the space  affects those who go to experience it. I realized that part of the beauty of the High line was how it encouraged movement between spaces. Designed almost like more of a hallway than a park, it encourages one to take a self guided walking tour of Chelsea, from a space just high enough for you to enjoy the beautiful views, but low enough for you to still feel the energy of the city. Amongst all the movement I saw the picture of the family on the wall that has been the source of inspiration for many members of the class. Seeing that family, frozen in time, forever in the spot the artist wanted, made me think of how some art is meant to move and inspire movement, while other art celebrates stillness and the values that never change no matter how much one moves.

One thought on “Art is… Movement

1. Jennifer Corby

Cool pics! Create a gallery with them rather than just inserting them into your post to get them to display correctly. The instruction page has details (and there’s tutorials under the resources tab), but let me know if you need any help 🙂