Adriana Cushnie

Arts of New York                                                                

Frida Kahlo de Rivera was a Mexican painter  who is known for her self-portraits. She suffered lifelong health problems. The majorities were the result of a traffic accident that she survived during her teenage years. On September 17, 1925, Kahlo was riding a bus that collided with a trolley car. From this accident she suffered several injuries, including a broken spinal column, a broken collar bone, broken ribs, a broken pelvis, eleven fractures in her right leg, a crushed and dislocated right foot, and a dislocated shoulder. During the incident an iron handrail pierced her abdomen and her uterus. After the accident she had thirty or more operations. The injuries that she suffered from this incident prevented Kahlo from having a child because of the medical complications and permanent damage. Her recovery from the accident left her isolated and immobile for many months. During this time she painted a lot. Many of her paintings are self-portraits, “I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.”

Diego Rivera was also a Mexican artist. Diego Rivera’s work played a big part in the Mexican Mural Movement. He painted many murals, some in Mexico City and New York City. The Museum of Modern Art had an exhibition in the past of his work. Frida Kahlo looked up Diego as a teacher and an accomplished artist. As she was young and trying to develop her own style. Frida was overwhelmed when he saw talent in her work. This was how their relationship started.

In August 1929 the couple got married. There were happy times, but their marriage was not one that was filled with love and joy. Both parties committed numerous acts of adultery and this ultimately led to their divorce and then remarriage.Unknown-1 Unknown-2 Unknown-2 Unknown-3Unknown-6 Unknown-5 Unknown-4