Costumes (as per usual)

Let me just start by saying that I loved the opera. The first act certainly was slow, but as time passes I found it absolutely breath-taking and enchanting. I have certainly fallen in love.

The glittering silver costumes Octavian and Sophie were so incredibly perfect. They fit together, shimmering under the spot light. That said, that was the only time this couple really matched. Oddly enough, the costume designers choose a more untraditional role in matching couples costumes by not matching their costumes. Most of the couples were put in scenes together with contrasting colored outfits, while enemies had complimentary tones. This is usually not so.

Also, I loved the characterization of the Marschallin through her costumery. She not only had the finer clothing of the cast, but also was much taller as well. This played into her large stature and mature viewpoint. The Marschallin was by far my favorite character, and I really appreciated her view point.

This doesn’t relate to costumes, but I figured I throw it in. I honestly don’t think that this had a sad ending. Yes, in the end, the Marschallin gives up her love, but she does so without pouting or complaining. She knows that Sophie is best for him (for she still has a husband.) The young love of Sophie and Octavian is done very well, very sweetly and true to life, but also in such a way that it does not rub such love in the Marschallin’s face. I think while the ending is not perfect, but it is very beautiful and true to how life is. I appreciate the Marschallin accepting her fate, and in such, see a stronger and more powerful character who I truly admire. It would be a sad ending for me if she had let down my standard of her.