Der Rosenkavalier – Sets

For the hour that I was there, and from the sky-high seats we were in, the sets looked pretty impressive. The sets appeared as though they belonged in a castle. The curtains were luxurious, and the walls were magnificent.  Everything just looked beautiful, with the costumes it really looked like they were in the 1700s. Another aspect of the set that I noticed was the window, how the shades were closed and opened to differentiate between night and day. The first act took place in The Marschallin’s bedroom and to think that that was only room in the whole house you could imagine how big the house is painted out to be.

One thought on “Der Rosenkavalier – Sets

1. Adam

I couldn’t have summed it up better, but I would like to add that I was surprised how large the stage actually was. When the two doors in the back opened up, you could see just how vast the stage was. I also found it interesting how darkness was created by pulling the blinds in the back down and light was created by lifting the curtains up. That really created the illusion of day and night.