Act 3, scene 1

The play overall took a very interesting modern turn in the sense that costumes, for instance, were no where near my expectations. It wasn’t a bad thing, in fact, I liked the way the director decided to adapt the play to more current times. The lines from act 3, scene 1 I chose were represented fairly well. Mercutio’s dominant performance throughout these few lines was, again, vivid and very touching. Seconds before he died, he said the famous phrase that predicts the outcome of everyone’s irrational actions. Actions that shouldn’t only be attributed to the lustful love of young Romeo and Juliet, but also to their rival parents and society as a whole. Not only did his words summarize one of the main themes of the play, but also his death was very symbolic. It started a trend in Verona that neither the Capulets nor the Montagues could halt. Slowly but surely, we see the decay of this society because the youth starts to die. We know that without young people, there isn’t a civilization that can thrive.