Orchestral Music in Der Rosenkavalier

I do not think I was prepared to appreciate an opera prior to attending this show, and as such my evaluation of the dynamics within it are frustratingly shallow. Having recently misplaces my glasses, I was under the belief that I would be able to focus more clearly on the effects of the music, and how they told of parallel story to that of the characters on stage. This was a little bit of a fanciful idea, seeing as how I have no classic training in music and lack the vocabulary to properly express what effect it is that it truly had. What did become very apparent is that the music was very much a frame for which the powerful and beautiful voices of the singers to be presented in the most appropriate way possible, working to help sonically emphasize the most important emotions trying to be communicated. Orchestral music is very soothing for me to hear, and in this case proved to be much to relaxing. Without a clear view of the characters onstage I could not follow the story as well as I would have liked, and swiftly fell victim to the music. I enjoyed what I saw of the opera, and hope to go next time after a good nap and some coffee.