Look and Look Again-Sam G

Robert Longo (American, born 1953). Untitled (November 8, 2016), 2016. Charcoal on mounted paper, 105 x 131 ¼ in. (266.7 x 333.4 cm). © Robert Longo, Private Collection. (Photo: Courtesy of the artist and Metro Pictures, New York)

Look and Look Again

Untitled by Robert Longo; Charcoal on Mounted Paper

This hyper-realistic art piece depicts an American flag on two separated canvases.

Look:

-9/11

-memorial

-photograph

-sad

-nationalistic

-powerful

-American flag

-in wind

-two panels

When I approached this piece by Robert Longo I first recognized the apparently obvious characteristics. I noted that the piece spanned two separated canvases, was black and white, was a photograph, and depicted an American flag. The flag takes up the whole of both canvases and is billowing in the wind. It struck me as a memorial to the events that occurred on September 11, 2001. This was because of the two equal, rectangular canvases and the direct patriotism that the American flag represents. This thought brought sadness to mind as did the artwork. It holds a sense of sorrow which I couldn’t put my finger on.

Look Again:

-the left has more stars than the right panel

-represents more freedoms and rights than previously (new President)

-charcoal on mounted paper

-split represents divided America

-black and white represents damage and sorrow

-lighter near the split=hope for reunion or reconnection (equalizing)

-hyper-realistic

-very impressive

-black and white could represent race issues

Upon further investigation into the art work, my group and I observed that the piece was not a photograph but in fact a charcoal drawing by Robert Longo. We were all equally impressed by this fact. It was amazing to me how realistic he was able to make the flag. This hyperrealism gave it a sense of personality. It gave the art its own moment in time. Because it was perceived as a photograph, it had its own sense of a singular moment that was captured. We also read that it was created during the time when Donald Trump was elected as the United States’ President. Longo was trying to represent the new division of the country through the two separate canvases. The left canvas had more stars of the flag than the right canvas did. This was a representation of the division of rights that now exists in different classes and races and genders in this country. It could also represent the loss of freedoms that occurred after Trump’s election. In summary, the split of canvases represents divided America. The black and white palate created by the black charcoal and the white mounted paper is what gave the art its sense of sorrow. What we noticed next is that the piece is generally lighter in color near the divide of both sides. This represents hope for reuniting the nation and the people in it. We also speculated that the color choice of black and white could represent the heightened race issues in America.