Torch Song: Music

One of the first questions that came to mind about this off broadway play was why it’s called “Torch Song.” A torch song is actually a 1920’s term, referring to a sad or sentimental song, typically about unrequited love. Finding out that the entire play itself was named after this term made me think twice about the role of the music played in it. Everything from the kind of music playing to even the absence of music played a vital role in Torch Song. Moments without background music, such as arguments Arnold had with his mother, were accentuated through the lack of music. Without even the most subtle notes of music being played, the tension of the scene was emphasized immensely. The function music played in the play was vital, even through silence.

Although I can’t say I recognized every part of the soundtrack, I knew for sure the music was picked accordingly to the setting. The play started with what seemed like a disco, 80’s type of music, which fitted the timing displayed in neon lights on stage. Additionally, it ended in such a way that the entire scene revolved around a song playing from the radio, which David had dedicated to Arnold. Though there were was no dialogue, the words of the song finished off the play on an extremely heartwarming, touching note. It was a perfect finish to the emotional rollercoaster Torch Song took its viewers through.