Rubin Museum

I had absolutely no idea what to expect before entering the Rubin Museum. All I knew was that it was a small museum in NYC that I’ve never been to. However, Macaulay Seminar allowed me the opportunity to visit and have an unforgettable experience learning about how immense and complex sound can be.

Although I was not really excited for this trip, it turned out way better than I expected. Even though the museum itself isn’t visited by many or very well-known, the building is like no other. It is beautiful. From the glass windows outside, to the spiral staircase and the extravagant chandeliers that hung at the center of the café, I was taken back by its beauty. These things looked like they were just for decoration, but there are greater meanings behind them. For example, our tour guide explained to us that the round centerpiece on the first floor was created specifically for the Rubin’s spiral staircase and that it reflects sound as you travel up the staircase to the top floor of the six-story building. As I walked up the steps, I noticed the drone-like sounds that the centerpiece was able to make. Each floor had its own exhibition that was organized into a different theme. As we traveled throughout the museum, we were challenged by the tour guide to listen with our whole bodies. This was accompanied by all the interactive exhibits that the museum provided. One of the coolest parts of the museum was the ability to put our hands on a designated spot on the wall and be able to fully experience sound by stepping into the enclosed opening. Each of these had a different pitch and vibration for us to fully embrace the vastness of sound.

I have learned so much after exploring the Rubin Museum for just a little over an hour. The tour guide challenged us to listen with our whole bodies in the museum, but I hope to continue to do this in my daily life. Additionally, I would love to return to the museum to further explore the rest of what the Rubin has to offer.