STEAM Festival

STEAM Festival

The Macaulay Steam festival was an amazing opportunity to look at the work that other Macaulay I Seminar students were doing. It was so nice to see how everyone interpreted work and I felt like our work was extremely special since it stemmed from the ideas of Chorus of Stones. Some of the students had videos, others had posters and the rest had accordion books. Each one was special and demonstrated the student’s hard work.

It was also an amazing opportunity to see what we will have to do in the future (Macaulay Seminar III).  As I walked around, I noticed how much work the students put into their poster. Their projects were a lot more research oriented than our artsy projects.

The workshop area where students were allowed to create buttons or magnets provided them with an artistic outlet. It was nice because everything was provided and it was very independent. The cookies and coffee made sure everyone had enough energy to walk around and look at everyone else’s work.

The only flaw with the Steam Festival was that it was very unorganized.  Even though it was a mandatory event, there was no way to tell whether people actually came. There was no form of attendance and students were allowed to leave whenever they wanted.

Nonetheless, the Steam Festival provided students with an amazing opportunity to bond with students across campuses. I saw people that I had met during Macaulay events over the summer for the first time since then.

-Noshin Choudhury