Course Information

This course explores the arts and cultural events in New York City. Each of the units– theater, opera, literature, dance, and visual arts–is based on a performance or exhibition. We will observe the way stories are told through opera, theater, poetry, dance, and visual art. Our activities will include engagement with art forms, including interpretation, analysis, and creative work. We will focus on the ways in which the work of art fulfills and departs from tradition and expectation. We will explore the ways that art reflects the culture and politics of the times and the experimental nature of identity and creativity. The class will consider questions about the creation, enjoyment, and social function of art from the perspectives of maker, spectator, and critic. This course will also consider the aesthetics of collaboration and collage.

Course info

• MCHC 1001, Section T3AH, Fall 2017
  • Class: Tuesday and Thursday, 3:30-4:55 pm in Boylan 2231

Prof. Roni Natov

Alexis Carrozza, ITF

Site Info

Header image

Robert Rauschenberg with John Cage, Automobile Tire Print, 1953. Listen to Rauschenberg describe this work here.

How to Become a Site Author

1. Read FAQs below.
  2. Login to the Macaulay Eportfolios Network: https://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/. You registered for the network on the day that you received your laptop. If you don’t know your account info, use the option to reset your account.
  3. Return to our course site (https://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/natov2017) and add yourself as a site user in the space at the bottom of the page. Use your info from Step #1 then enter the course eportfolio password.
  4. Check your email and click “accept invitation” to add yourself to the site. You will not be added to the site unless you click this link! 

Site FAQs

• What if I don’t remember my email address or password to complete Step #1?
    • Use the option to reset your password.
  • What if I don’t remember the course password to complete Step #2?
    • Option #1: Check the syllabus and/or ITF handout about adding yourself to the site.
    • Option #2: Email Alexis for the course password; be sure to add yourself using the email address associated with your MHC eportfolios account.
  • How do I find out which email address is associated with my account?
    • Complete Step #1 > hover your mouse over your name in the upper-right corner > Choose “Edit My Profile” from the drop-down menu > View or modify the email address associated with your account.
  • I added myself to the site but I didn’t receive an invite to join the site?!
    • Check your junk mail! If you find it here, be sure to add “@mhc.cuny.edu” and/or “eportfolios” to your contacts info or inbox rules.
    • Check to see if the email that you’re checking is the email associated with your account (See above, “How do I find out which email address is associated with my account?).

[widgets_on_pages id=”1″]