Written by Ledia Duro

A Lawyer In-The-Making

A Lawyer In-The-Making by Ledia Duro

“Unlike the typical ten year old, my after school activities included calling utility companies and translating at doctors’ offices,” Marlin recounts of her childhood. Only six months after having immigrated to the United States, she had to speak to realtors, with broken English, about finding housing for her family. She had to grow up before her time and put her own fears and insecurities aside to aid her family. Although she saw endless opportunities in the United States, she also witnessed corruption and prejudice—similar to Albania.

“The poor and immigrants were often taken advantage of at the Medicaid offices, health clinics, and other places that my family frequented. After learning basic English, I was able to speak up and ensure that my family was not being treated unfairly.”

Although she started to fight for her family’s rights, she felt helpless when she saw others being mistreated.

“Unfortunately, I could not do anything to help the people who could not represent themselves adequately, even though it was difficult for me to see them struggle. That is why at ten years old, I decided that I wanted to be an attorney so that I would be in a position to help those who cannot advocate for themselves.”

It is not surprising that Marlin wants to serve the public interest by focusing on labor and employment law, as well as immigration. As she graduates from the Macaulay Honors College at CCNY with a stellar GPA and impressive resume, I asked her, “What advice would you give children immigrating to the United States?”

“At the end of the day, you have to follow your passions and do what you love. Don’t be discouraged by anyone. Set your own goals, instead of listening to what society tells you is ‘success.’”

Marlin encourages others to define their own success. Personally, she acknowledges that money and status don’t necessarily lead to happiness. She is not interested in corporate law—a field that is infamous for its substantial salaries. Instead, she will likely accept a considerably lower salary to serve the public. By watching the sparkle in her eye when she talks about helping others and serving the community, I felt how sincere and passionate she was. Coming from a low-income family, she is aware of the struggles countless people go through without having someone there to help and fight for them. Marlin recently attended the 6th Annual Celebration of Macaulay Scholarship, presenting her senior thesis—“The Legal Remedy to the ‘Illegal’ Worker.” She gave an eloquent and insightful presentation of the collaborations of worker centers and litigation in gaining undocumented workers protections. After much research, she discovered the contradictions between labor and employment law and immigration law. IMG_4986 “Have you achieved the ‘American dream’?,” I asked her.

“I’m on my way to achieving my version of the American dream.”

“What is your ‘version’?”

“It is not about having a lot of money, a mansion, and a fancy car. Instead, it’s doing what my passion is. And I am on my way there.”

Marlin, a Skadden, Arps Honors Program in Legal Studies scholar, is featured in The City College of New York’s website under “Skadden Arps Program Funding Model a Success Story.” She has been offered admission to St. John’s School of Law in Fall 2014 with a full scholarship. With her dedication, talent, and passion, there is no doubt that she will continue to make strides toward that dream—empowering young immigrants with aspirations and helping the community.

Be the first to leave a comment!