Written by Paulina Librizzi

Rising Stars

Rising Stars by Paulina Librizzi

New York is a community of Artists. Actors, dancers, designers, writers, musicians… the concentration and level of talent in New York City is arguably far beyond the talent anywhere else in the world.

But it is a competitive industry. Making it in New York is much more difficult.

However, people still dream of the great white way, or the silver screen. I interviewed two students from Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School, a competitive school dedicated to arts education. In addition to academic classes, students take classes in Visual Arts, Vocal Music, Technical Theatre, Instrumental Music, Dance, and, in the case of the students I interviewed, Drama. Catherine Kenny is a Junior Drama Major at LaGuardia. Her dream is to be a musical theater actress. “Obviously this business isn’t an easy one and no one has a very high chance of success but I think that if I continued my training and worked at it, I really do think I could have a shot at becoming a professional actress,” she says when discussing her odds. But she’s learned a thing or two about acting from LaGuardia. “I feel like I really know what I’m doing in terms of developing a character and delving into a scene and being able to really portray a real person.”

I think that if I continued my training and worked at it, I really do think I could have a shot at becoming a professional actress

Her classmate, Jharrel Jerome describes his shock at winning a seat in the prestigious school. “I had only gotten into theatre training two and half months before the audition,” he said. So I went in there confident, but with a slight feeling of disadvantage. So when I realized that all my hard work paid off after being accepted, I became extremely excited and just had the determination to make the 4 years count.”  Determination would be a definite plus, considering his dream is to become a screen actor and “a known actor.” He has utilized the resources LaGuardia has given him too. “Without a doubt, LaGuardia’s drama department has been the most helpful tool into not only getting into the industry, but understanding the industry as well. We have classes specifically to discuss the trade. The pros and cons of the industry. So basically, LaGuardia has definitely done it’s job in preparing me for the industry. They also have sent me out on auditions for industry jobs. So that’s a big plus.”

He has directed this short, poignant  film in conjunction with Unexplained Entertainment. He also asks that if you enjoyed the film, please like Unexplained Entertainment on Facebook.

© 2014 Unexplained Entertainment. Directed By Jharrel Jerome. Used with Permission.

When asked if they thought they would have had opportunities like this outside of New York, both answers were resounding “nos.” Catherine puts it politely: “There are some great theater companies in other parts of the country but I think growing up in New York and having the chance to go to Laguradia has really helped me realize that this is something I’m passionate about and has helped me better understand the way the business works.”

Be the first to leave a comment!