header image

Blogger Profile

Name: Jonathan Lam
Major: Business, Management, and Finance
Possible Minor: Small Business Management and Urban Entrepreneurship
Additional Interests: Creative Writing and Fine Arts
School: Macaulay Honors at Brooklyn College
Class: 2011, Rising Junior

About a month ago, I participated in the New Orleans Service Learning Experience hosted by the Macaulay Honors College with Professors Ted Henken (Baruch College) and Deborah Gardner (Hunter College).  Along with 25 other students throughout the CUNY campuses, we learned about the culture and the reconstruction process of New Orleans five years after Hurricane Katrina on a first-hand basis.  We also participated in the interior reconstruction of three homes in two parishes within the city of New Orleans.  It was one of THE BEST ways to spend Spring Break, and an experience that will never be forgotten.

China should prove to be a different experience that will hopefully be just as memorable.  The CUNY-BC in China program provides an opportunity for participants to see many different areas of China in the here and now, and to learn about the extensive history that the country has.  This summer, the program will take all us to Beijing, Xi-an, Nanjing, the Yellow Mountain, Hangzhou, and Shanghai.  I will also attending the side trip to Guilin and Yangshuo with about 9 or so other people.  The program also offers additional side trips to Hong Kong and Shenzhen, as well as to Sanya.  Unfortunately, due to time and money purposes, I decided not to attend either of these side trips, so bloggers will just have to settle for the natural beauty that is Guilin, which I’m sure will be really… sad…

Leave a response

Your response: