What Percent Are You?

8 05 2012

I found an interesting blog on Wall Street Journal where it has a calculator that tells you where in the population you stand in terms of the percentage. (“We are the 99%” is Occupy Wall Street’s slogan)

Click here to check out where you belong to!

The Occupy Wall Street movement seeks to speak for the bottom 99% of the population by income, which includes pretty much everyone who makes less than $500,000 a year.

According to the protesters’ unofficial website, “Occupy Wall Street” is a leaderless movement of people from many different backgrounds. “The one thing we all have in common is that we are the 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%,” the website says. A related site called We Are the 99% records stories from people around the country.

The calculator above shows where your income stands on the wide range of the 99%. An annual salary above $506,000 puts you in the top 1%, while you need to make less than $2,500 a year to be in the bottom 1%. Where do you stand?

Actions

Information

3 responses to “What Percent Are You?”

13 05 2012
      marcinskok (21:32:59) :     

I can’t see how useful this is given that you pretty much can tell without it if you’re part of that group. This looks like something that’s just going to provoke further anger.

14 05 2012
      nathanweinberg (10:13:45) :     

I think this is a pretty interesting tool, and I was actually surprised that 500,000 didn’t put you in the top 1%. I think that underscores how much wealth is hoarded by the top executives.

14 05 2012
      Misu Kim (12:26:20) :     

I think it is interesting how Occupy Wall Street protestors use different strategies to gather more supporters.