A Bit of Politics

“The Melting Pot.” “The Empire City.” “The City that Never Sleeps.” New York City has undoubtedly built a reputation as a uniquely diverse and powerful global city. The Twin Towers stood as a symbol for this – for New York’s financial role in general, and for influencing policies abroad, in particular. Dave Harvey asserts the United State’s international, neoliberal involvement as a key motivator in the 9/11 attacks. Although controversial, I’m inclined to agree with this position. After all, America’s shameful interventionist policies abroad are secret to none. And it’s a bit ridiculous to say “they attack us for our freedom,” when I can think of a multitude of countries which allow their citizens far more “freedom” (though too vague a term) than we seem to care to want.

Where I disagree with this point of view is when it the position becomes absolute. From what I could see, Harvey places the full weight of the blame on US policies, completely disregarding the effects of “ideas” on the events of that day. This is a mistake. It’s true that there were economic and political motivators at play, though they were clearly not the only factors. If they were, we would have seen Chinese-occupied Tibetan Buddhists blowing themselves up. The fact is that insofar someone really believes in something drastic, like the notion that infidels deserve to die, there can be profound consequences.

Again, I largely agree with Harvey’s standpoint on corporate greed and American interventionism, though “American values” certainly come into play when they are not the same as those of a death cult. It’s important to look at the other side and not to ignore ideology, even if it seems taboo to talk about it.

About Avichai Vazana

My name is Avichai Vazana. I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, and moved to America when I was 8 years old. I chose Macaulay because of the wide opportunities...and the laptop.
This entry was posted in February 27. Bookmark the permalink.