I’m tired of Bloomberg

Michael Bloomberg has been mayor of New York for like 30 years now… at least that’s what it feels like! Ever since I was asked to remember who the mayor of our city was, it’s been Bloomberg. When will he step down already?! We’ve changed presidents twice (although there have been four elections) and he’s still in office. I have nothing against the man (besides the fact that he doesn’t close schools on snow days)  but I’m just tired of hearing his name!

I don’t know about you, but there is something about rich CEOs that causes me to distrust them. This may be just a result from the bad press they receive, like them not paying taxes, cutting corners, cheating their way to the top. They aren’t the type of things I want my mayor doing, especially when it comes to dealing with my (parents’) hard earned money. This is a completely biased and unjustified view, I see that, but I don’t think I would have elected Bloomberg (again and again) if I was able to at the time. It seems that a CEO will only be able to run things as a CEO. In light of the wave of Neoliberalism, it makes a lot of sense that he was elected, as the new focus on the economy gave him a leg up.

Although he was quite popular when he was first elected (and somehow managed to hold on to people’s votes), it seems that he has over extended his stay, even if he has helped progress the city. NYC was on a trend to focus on businesses and markets for a while and he only followed that path further. He, and his predecessors, have moved NYC maybe to the point of no return. Our economy is so dependent on businesses and investing, all of what Wall St comprises, that we may not know what other way to be. What will/could NYC be without markets? We housed the WORLD trade center, what other function can we serve in the future? Last class established that manufacturing doesn’t seem like a likely option.

I’ve done enough attacking of Bloomberg myself, but can all of NYC really blame him for this state of complete business venture we live in? Can we condemn the mayor (according to his background, skills, and ideals) for constructing a city with well defined socioeconomic classes and an eye only for business and wealth? Or is there more to the story? Brash hints that this trend started before Bloomberg, but can Bloomberg share the blame for furthering it? Are we even upset that our city is so focused on economy and money-making? Do we have this mindset ourselves?

This entry was posted in March 6, Sylvia Zaki. Bookmark the permalink.