Policy and a Legacy?

I love parks. I really do.  At the same time, I love ripping on Bloomberg, and yet he has done a great deal with regards to public works. It seems we have reached an impasse.

In all seriousness, the importance of parks cannot be understated, especially the Bustling Boroughs. As we all probably understand intuitively, and some scientifically, humans need access to nature. It promotes mental health, and often physical activity, and is especially important for child development. Bloomberg’s efforts in this respect complement his overall “health” agenda, and he deserves his share of credit for this. But then, I feel it only fair to call attention to the uglier side to these projects, just to spice things up!

Just a few points of contention to consider, and possibly discuss:

a) What of the poor? The true measure of a society is how it treats it’s disadvantaged. In this regard (and probably a few others), they seems to be pushed aside; not worth the city’s time or effort. Sure, the High Line and Brooklyn Bridge Parks are beautiful, but if the goal is truly the health of the people, why only provide this essential for constituents who have the affluence to vote you back in? I guess that answers it.

b) Quantity vs Quality? In an effort to establish himself as the Robert Moses of out time, it seems Bloomberg has taken to rushing and overspending. “There was no planning, no realistic cost estimates. It was fantasy mixed with p.r.,” – Geoffrey Croft of NYC Parks Advocates.

c) Eminent Domain. Need I say more? Eh, why not. Fascism! I have a huge problem with this ruling, which I think gives the government too much control over private property. Needless to say, it has been abused in the past, and will continue to be abused. Goes back to the whole “role of government” discussion we had in class.

About Avichai Vazana

My name is Avichai Vazana. I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, and moved to America when I was 8 years old. I chose Macaulay because of the wide opportunities...and the laptop.
This entry was posted in April 17. Bookmark the permalink.