My Perspective on Stop and Frisk

I wrote a paper on stop and frisk for my Sociology 101 class a couple of semesters ago, so based on my memory of the research I did, as well as the readings, I’d like to attempt to give a brief summary of my opinion on this so-called “stop and frisk” policy.

It’s important to note that this policy is not meant to “target” any specific race or ethnicity because of hatred or discrimination. The statistics show that black populations and other racial/ethnic minorities are the populations that commit the most crimes, and thus warrant special policing tactics to prevent such crimes from happening. The pioneering NYPD has implemented a policing policy that according to much of the data presented by this group as well as from what I remember reading indicates a reduction in crime, a reduction of armed criminals and gang members on the streets, and thus fewer criminal activities.

It is unfortunate that so many innocent people are stopped and frisked by the NYPD. But that is an unfortunate yet necessary consequence which, in my opinion, is a small price to pay for a drastic reduction in criminal activity on the streets of New York compared to other major cities in the United States. Though it might not necessarily be crystal clear whether the drastic reduction in crime is fully due to the stop and frisk policing, if anyone can think of a better police tactic to prevent crime before it happens, let’s try it. Humiliating truly innocent people is unfortunate and I am totally willing to exchange it for an equally effective alternative. But until that happens, I think the NYPD should continue this policy which has seemingly helped make New York a safer place to live.

This entry was posted in May 1. Bookmark the permalink.