Macaulay Honors College Seminar 4 | Professor Robin Rogers

Video Review- Shemika Sandy

In both videos I have learned different ways to go about with ethnography that will be comfortable for the person that I am interviewing. My favorite types of interviewing are the expert view and participant observation. I like the expert interview because it allows me to ask questions that pertain to the topics that I am interested in, sand get that persons point of view without making them feel like I am prying too much into their personal lives. The downside of that type of interview is that I may not be able to fully understand how those topics affect the persons daily life because they can give a manufactured answer that the think I want to hear.  Completely opposite of the expert interview, I like the idea of participant observation, because you are able to physically experience the person’s daily life, therefore getting a better understanding on how the topics that I am thinking of allow them to function. By physically seeing and participating in their routine, you see them in their comfort zone, which may make them more comfortable to open up to you. The downside of participant observation is time to get to know their life.

Some pointers that I have gotten from both of the videos that I would like to implement in my own interviews are to be over prepared with questions so that I am more relaxed thus making my interviewee more relaxed with me.  I also will do my background research on the topic, so that I am not asking the person anything that is already written or may make them feel uncomfortable. I will start a conversation with the interviewee so that they do not feel nervous, which will help the interview flow naturally. I will use a location that they are pleased with and be charming, that way they can warm up to me and maybe even push the conversation themselves. I also will make sure that I am not political with the conversation that way they can give me an honest answer rather than one that may sound politically correct, or get a negative emotion out of them. I also will make sure that I keep my reactions neutral and stay engaged that way the person that I am interviewing feels invested in it. Overall, Both videos have showed me different ways to get a good interview that gives me great information to use and help me find the right topic.

1. Prof Rogers

You are right to point out the personal discomfort that can come from some kinds of interviewing. Others, as you note, are much less personal.