Macaulay Honors College Seminar 4 | Professor Robin Rogers

Response Paper

Both videos with Brandon Stanton, creator of HONY, and the IIT Institute of Design complemented and emphasized the interviewing skills learned from Telling True Stories. The importance of the subject, and especially the ethical consideration of making sure their ideas aren’t skewed or put in a larger political context without explicit consent was a significant issue raised by Stanton in his interview. Although Stanton’s ideas are very noble, I believe his intent to avoid larger political and societal issues is fundamentally impossible and perhaps a little narrow minded. As thinking, feeling, human beings we naturally use our past experiences and understandings of the world to constantly make connections between the micro and the macro. Therefore, the political and societal connections arise naturally as a product of how we observe and analyze these narrative stories, counter to what Stanton’s vision for HONY is. The lesson of greatest value from the interview, especially for the purposes of my own interviews, is to follows Stanton’s advice in recognizing and making attempts to circumvent an interviewee’s “pre-constructed answers.” It’s very understandable that the interviewee would feel uncomfortable and less willing to disclose truthful information during the early stages of the interview. I am now very aware of the importance of establishing rapport and making sure the interviewee is as comfortable as possible before asking very deep personal questions. 

IIT Institute of Design’s video focused primarily on ethnography which was defined as seeing the world through another’s eyes. On a deeper level, it seems that ethnography is about truly connecting with the person in front of you and understanding who they are. The take away from this video was the different approaches to get others to talk and how to make them comfortable and at ease. For example, the location where the interview is taking place (busy place vs. quiet place) or even the initial question you’re asking can be instrumental in getting the best, unadulterated account from your subject.

In summary, I think the lessons learned from both videos will prove to be very useful in my own interview journeys. I am now much more aware of how the ethnographic process unfolds in practice and more confident in my ability to steer the conversation towards clarity and truth.

1. Prof Rogers

I agree with you that there is a difference between bringing in social issues before and after the interview. I think HONY does that even if it claims not to do it.