Confusing yet entertaining

T

The first thing I have to mention is that it was very difficult to get through the first two acts, but I believe that is what made reading the play all the more enjoyable. I have a penchant for books that are related to wars and coups and things of such nature. As such, although the book was difficult to get through, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

It is quite obvious from the play that Richard is neither a competent nor a wise leader. He is rash, impatient, and quick, and generally does things he pleases. In addition, he also does not have much care for his subjects or for those who have been loyal to him. For example, when Richard heard the news that his uncle, John of Gaunt, was lying in his deathbed, he had a sense of joy and happiness rush through him, as he realized that he could now seize John’s estates once he is dead, considering Bolingbroke is now in exile. Act II concludes with Richard’s large Welsh army dispersing, as they believe Richard to be dead. As such, the audience now knows that Richard is left without an army to fight Bolingbroke, who has seized the entire northern half of Richard’s kingdom. I am looking forward to finishing the play and would like to see what is to become of both Richard and Bolingbroke if they are to meet in battle.

One thought on “Confusing yet entertaining

1. I agree with you that the text was hard to get through. But you can expect nothing less from Shakespeare. I do not expect the fight between Richard and Bolingbroke to be interesting at all. Bolingbroke is loved by the people while Richard is hated by most. Almost everyone if not all will side with Bolingbroke. In the end, Richard will not even be able to fight Bolingbroke due to lack of support. Personally I think Richard will be forced to surrender his throne rather than shed blood to protect it.