Hottest Day of the Year

When I heard of this movie, I was curious on why it was called “Do the Right Thing”. Most movies are a fight between good and evil and doing the right thing and wrong thing so why would a movie be stating the obvious. Since I haven’t finished watching the movie, I still do not have the answer to this questions. As the movie started, I was struck by the passion of the woman dancing. Women are usually presented as proper and poise people; however, she was very fierce and passionate. Her face and body language made me assume that she grew up or was living in an area where women had to be fierce and stand up for themselves.

I also wondered why the movie kept emphasizing that it was a hot hot day. They repeated this idea and made sure that the audience was aware of this. The reason why they might have repeated that it was a hot day is because hot is symbolic to anger. From what we saw in the movie, there is already much racism between white men and black men. This is very apparent inside the pizzeria.  The man in the pizzeria saw that the pictures on the wall were all of white men and he openly said that they should put pictures of black men on it. Racism was openly acknowledged instead of quietly put into action and when black men felt that they were being put down, they tried to do something about it.

Linda Manchery