Module Two Reading

To be honest, I feel like I am the odd one out in the class because I have very little experience with science fiction. When asked about about my favorite alien on the first day of class, it took me less than a couple seconds to agree on JarJar simply because I only know a handful of aliens. After hearing everyone else’s responses I was astonished at the variety especially since I only knew who three or four of them were.

Anyway, the short stories were my first literary encounter with science fiction in probably over a decade and they turned out to be an excellent way to dive in. The first similarity that jumped out at me contrary to novels or science books, is the immense level of detail. It seems as though the authors are attempting to illustrate every corner of the room, every button on the control panel, or everything in the environment as to paint as vivid of a picture for the reader as possible. I felt almost as though I can close my eyes as see it all in front of me.

Probably like for many others, “The Cold Equation” had the most lasting impact on me. Throughout most of the story, since the pilot discovered the stowaway was a young girl, I was waiting for some kind of solution, or an extra barrel of fuel to be laying around somewhere in the ship, or anything that would allow the girl to stay on board and see her brother. I was almost brought to tears when in the end, no such solution appeared and she actually had to die. It makes me wonder, why Tom Godwin would have written such a heartbreaking story? One of the opposing themes that I was however able to understand was the difference between human will and physical law. No one wanted Marilyn to die but physics didn’t allow for any other option, which also raises the question of whose life is worth saving more?

All in all, a fantastic read!