Module 2 Response

The Martian: 

I loved “The Martian.” First of all, Mark is not only an incredibly likable character, but Weir’s writing allows him to also be extraordinarily relatable. I liked the first-person “diary feel” of the novel. The setting switches between Mars and Earth enhanced the story as well. For instance, when we learn about the dust storm, the reader can sympathize with NASA’s apprehension. They, like the reader, are helpless in the situation – neither of us can save Mark.

My favorite decision by Weir was the establishing and successive removal of communication with Earth. Both events heightened the drama of the situation considerably. If Mark had not established communication, his survival would have been impossible (or at least very improbable). If he had maintained it, he would have been too safe, and the reader would have become bored. The lack of communication created a “desert island” atmosphere, which maintained the drama of the situation.

However, the reason I liked The Martian so much was not its plethora of suspense. It is relatively easy to create suspense in a survival story. What made this book stand out to me was the sheer amount of factual science. I have a penchant for accurate science in my science fiction. The researching of the book alone must have taken longer than it did to actually write it, but the effect is surely worth the effort. Though this was obviously a fictional book, by the end of this novel, it had gained enough scientific credibility to convince the audience it could easily be nonfiction in a few years. Even the most minor characters (Mindy, Mitch, Rich) were developed enough to seem realistic. Weir has me convinced – there is no problem science (and a little duct tape) cannot solve.

The Cold Equations:

This is about as “hard SF” as it can get. “The Cold Equations” was one of my favorites of the readings. It was very well written, which only exacerbated the emotional response the story garnered. Incredibly tragic, but with a clear and intelligent moral, Godwin managed to perfectly balance emotion and science. The story is also somewhat of a battle between the two – with the winner obvious. I would not have liked this story if it had ended any other way. A different conclusion would have denied science, which makes for terrible science fiction.

I also enjoyed the captain’s perspective of the story. It is a natural viewpoint for the reader – I was observing the story from a slight distance, just like the captain. We were both powerless in the situation as well. My favorite part was the final line of the story: “I didn’t do anything to die for—I didn’t do anything–” The interrupted words from a life interrupted too soon underscored the moral of the story very well. There are human laws, and then there are physics laws – and physics wins, always.

It’s Great to be Back:

This was my least favorite of the readings. It wasn’t as “hard SF” as I expected from the introduction, or would have liked. The physical problems the couple faced when they returned to Earth were interesting, but I wish Heinlein had gone into more detail about what kind of research they (and others) were doing on the Moon. For a story that begins with an introduction claiming it is “a sales pitch for a future in space,” I wasn’t sold on it. Heinlein could have been utilized the short argument Mr. MacRae had with an individual at his party about the subject to clarify and support his argument. Instead, the story focuses more on the social issues that would arise – still interesting, but not scientific enough for me. Lastly, I was personally slightly irked by the beginning controversy about the express shuttle. Before they leave and as they land the author hints at potential problems, but it does not result in any further plot development – and I never appreciate a (twice) unfired Chekhov’s gun.

Down and Out On Ellfive Prime:

“Down and Out On Ellfive Prime” had the most realistic premise of the readings in my opinion. At the rate we are polluting our planet – no, at the rate we are ignoring the rate we are polluting our planet – it will become too hot for people to live on. While it may be too late to save the planet and most of humanity, it seems believable that at least the rich will survive. Enough money can solve most problems.

The character of Zen was an excellent use of the “free man” science fiction character. He has all of the traits necessary for this trope to work well – understated intelligence, a steadfast moral compass, distaste for authority, and even a motorcycle. He has timeless, quintessential cool. One of my favorite quotes from Zen: “They ushered a couple of nice people out of airlocks, naked, which we think was a little brusque.” This tidbit of sarcasm helps humanize and ground him as a more believable character.

If I had to make one complaint, it would be that the climax came too soon in the story. The mudslide was an exciting scene; there were several deaths and the survival and subsequent capture of Zen. This problem was quickly resolved, though, with little drama. I wanted more action. However, such is the nature of short stories. They always leave you wanting more.

One thought on “Module 2 Response”

1. I definitely agree that one of the most compelling parts of Weir’s novel is the fact that the science is accurate and detailed (which in turn serves to make the story plausible). I do have to disagree, however, that Weir’s development of the minor characters like Mitch, Annie, and Mindy are realistic. In research settings, especially in places as corporate as NASA and JPL, the best way to describe the atmosphere would probably be “the hierarchy is real” – meaning that seniority and rank are matter…A LOT. So, for example, Annie’s attitude toward Bruce, Venkat, and Mitch (big shot project scientists) wouldn’t realistically go down the way it’s portrayed in the novel – especially since she’s from the public relations/media front and isn’t involved in the science at all. I’m not saying that she wouldn’t *think* the things she says in the novel, but I’m not so sure a person in her position would actually make those comments to people like Mitch, Teddy, or Bruce.

(Among scientists, however, the snarky comments are sometimes too frequent!)