Object Relations

I definitely have relationships with certain objects… I’d rather be free of all material attachments but I can’t seem to get there. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to live without all your stuff? Phone, posters, sentimental sweaters… everything! I guess the biggest attachment for me would be my stuffed toy from childhood, Foxy. I don’t know whether I should blame my parents or myself for the unimaginative name but it stuck. He’s been with me all my life and there are baby photos to prove it. I put him in the washing machine once and sat by the machine for a little while as if he was a family member getting treatment at the hospital. I still have him- he’s on my bed right now. Is that weird? Actually he’s probably in the crack between the bed and the wall but that’s neither here nor there.

Foxy was the star of a many rainy days. He always had special houses set up for him in the cities I made out of my room. He was also the cohost of Toys Live, a show I made with one of my best friends growing up. I think we had Christina Aguilera on as a guest once (a Barbie doll probably). I miss getting to invent shows and spend long hours putting them together… and I miss constructing those intricate dwellings for him and my other toys. Maybe that’s why I still hold on to him. He’s the last member of what was once a grand collection. He’s also rather soft.