Object-Women Relations

The closest object I have to me is my gold necklace which I received shortly after I was born. The necklace is important to me because gold is seen as sort of a heritage-like item in my family and my culture. Everyone has one signature piece of gold, which is usually a necklace (which also has a cross on it). I find myself holding my necklace when I’m contemplating something or when I’m unsure. I have never named my necklace. Even with stuffed animals that I liked and put on my bed, I have never given them a name. I find it a little weird to call an object by a name.

In fact, it can be a little infuriating because often people who call objects a name usually do so by a female name. Boats, cars, motorcycles, houses are generally referred to as “she” and given female names as well. It seems almost natural to do so. I imagined calling a car “Justin” and it just felt so wrong because that name, a male name, made the car way too human. Sadly, when I called my laptop a slew of feminine names, it felt natural. It’s like women are closer to being objects so it feels okay to call things by a woman’s name. My own friend calls his laptop Lucy (after Lucifer) and his guitar Shiela. Even Siri/GPS voices are women’s voices. There may be studies that suggest a woman’s voice is nicer to hear from in regards to receiving/giving directions, but maybe hearing these voices may reinforce negative depictions of women.

Do people call objects a name that is contingent with the sex they’re attracted to? Or is it just that female names are easier to use? I’m not sure, maybe that would explain why would we see so many female-named objects in media because it’s made up of heterosexual men.