The characters in this reading module were definitely interesting, but I had a hard time connecting with them and seeing things from their perspective. While reading Women Men Don’t See I was a bit confused as to what exactly was going on. The ending seemed to spring out of nowhere. I was also a bit put off by the main characters portrayal of women. Hearing that the author of this story was a woman was definitely surprising, but it did not change my opinion regarding the story or gave any further insight into the characters.

Nine Lives brought up an interesting idea as to what it might be like when we make clones, and what would the bond be between the clones. To me, it seemed a bit weird that the clones were all content living amongst themselves, not needing outside company. Having 9 other people that all think the same, feel the same and behave the same, can become boring after a while as it would lead to dull conversations. But I can understand how it would be gratifying to have others who have the same thoughts, as you can always feel justified in your actions and not second doubt yourself.

I liked Underground Airlines, since it was a fast read, but I didn’t really like the main character all that much. His whole freedom was basically a convoluted reality, that only existed as along as he helped capture other slaves. At times, when reading, I did wonder how he justified his actions and if his life was worth the lives of the 209 escaped slaves he had helped find. The story however, did not feel like a science fiction novel to me until the end when they mentioned cloning. IT felt more of a historical fiction novel since for most of the story, there was no fancy technology of and scientific innovation involved. However, if you think of it from the perspective that Science fiction is supposed be question our present and past and not the future, then it does kind of fit that description.