Really?

Article 2 from this week’s reading described ethnic enclaves as “a superior strategy for immigrant economic and social integration,” when describing the area of Sunset Park. I read this line in the reading just thinking, “really?!”  While this is true in some aspects, I wouldn’t go about calling enclaves as a “superior” method.  In many ways, enclaves are just a superior strategy for economic and social integration of immigrants in their own enclave…not American society.  Many people living in enclaves never assimilate into American society; rather, they maintain the culture they held back home…just in America.

I hold that becoming engaged in life outside ethnic enclaves is actually a much better way to achieve economic and social integration, if this is indeed what an immigrant desires.  It may be harder to adjust at first, but worth it in the long run.  Do you think Dominican politicians such as Guillermo Linares and Ydanis Rodriguez would have been able to enter the political front and facilitate change had they remained in Washington Heights?  Their integration into American society has been through their involvement in American politics, and politics is just one method of getting involved.

In this similar respect, I believe that Mexicans’ involvement in organizations such as UNIMEX and CECOMEX, based in America, are another great method of integrating into American society while retaining one’s culture.  Mexicans involved are stretching beyond El Barrio, or their respective enclave, and reaching out, which is another great way to become involved in American life: social activism.  They must leave their ethnic enclave, but not the Mexican ethnicity.  Had all Mexicans stayed in their enclave, would they have been able to advance Mexican life in America?  Where would the Mexican Independence Day Parade be today?

Therefore, I don’t believe that ethnic enclaves are the superior method for immigrants’ integration into American life.  Rather, stretching beyond the limits of the enclave and physically leaving it is a better method.  Immigrants most certainly can retain their connection to the enclave, but in order to integrate into American society, and further America’s acceptance of their culture, stepping out of the comfort zone must be done as well.

This entry was posted in Reading Responses. Bookmark the permalink.