Racial diversity in Retail labor

After reading, “Who’s behind the counter? Retail Workers in New York City” by Malkin, I have to say I was at first confused about this article’s identification with racial and ethnic diversity. The majority of the article seemed to rather focus on the trials and tribulations of having a job in retail. While this was the main focus of the article (or maybe a larger focus than should have been) it has helped me understand why exactly there are a large number of ethnically diverse people working in retail, at least towards the end.

Economically and in the face of class separations, retail jobs play a role in the concept of social mobility that is so important for the immigrant and immigrant family population. When immigrants receive their education and need help paying tuition or supporting families, jobs in retail become very appealing. Malkin explains that the low wages leave retail for people who need extra cash rather than a main source of income, in many cases. This leads to a constantly shifting retail force and workers entering and leaving. Some people are forced to stay when tuition becomes too expensive to even attend college. However, Malkin describes some are promoted into better positions in retail.

Again, I found the article to focus way more on the experience one has as a retail employer. Some aspects that deal with diversity include interactions with wealth (usually white) customers as well as retail workers as consumers. Retail workers, usually young and ethnically diverse, wanting to have a part in American culture were more likely to spend their wages on clothing and other items rather than saving up to purchase an autonomous home (which very few have). I think this is interesting in that it brings into play the idea of assimilation. When interviewed, workers said a lot of their wages went to brand names, because it made them “feel good”. I think this is an interesting point to discuss in class.

This entry was posted in Reading Responses. Bookmark the permalink.