Progress Report

My group is zeroing on the religion of Jackson Heights. Our initial plan was to find the 3 most common religions practiced in the area and then focusing on those. At first we had trouble finding exact percentages of the population that belonged to each religion, but ultimately we decided that Christianity, Judaism and Islam would be the three most common in Jackson Heights. We recalled seeing Churches on our visit, and began to search for places of worship in Jackson Heights on the internet and found churches, synagogues, and masjids, or mosques, to be the most available. We decided to approach this project of learning more about religion in Jackson Heights with research as well as interviews. We will pair internet research (articles) with interviews with the heads of some places of worship in Jackson Heights. My group and I have already emailed many places asking for phone interviews so that we could learn more about religion’s impact on the community. Some of these include Masjid Al-Taufiq,  St. Mark’s Episcopal Chuch, and Elmhurst Kehilla. We emailed multiple places for each religion, to cover the bases and also have diversity, as well as back ups if some places can’t come through with interviews, or chose not to give any.

This entry was posted in Reading Responses. Bookmark the permalink.