Secret Revealed: We’re all octoroons.

As for the case of Elgar, I think The Landlord only exemplifies the beginnings of gentrification, if that. The neighborhood, Park Slope, that he moved into was still significantly black when the movie ended. His family was still ridiculously ignorant as well. To me, this movie did not signify any type of progression into gentrification. In its entirety, I believe this film just about a man who runs away from home (but still maintains the most of the same values) and knocks a girl up.

No, I really do not think that Elgar embodies the spirit of gentrification. The true definition of the term is “the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents.” Do I think Elgar fits this criteria? No, not at all. When Elgar arrived in Park Slope he almost assimilated within the neighborhood instead of kicking them out like the definition of gentrification suggests.

However, within the first few scenes of the movie Elgar says something along the lines of “I wan’t to fix the place up and just kick out those tenants.” His attitude here resembles that of his entire family. The ignorance of his entire family is seriously incredible. The first sign that Elgar himself is not interested in gentrifying his tenant house anymore is when he calls his family octoroons. This “major insult” drives his family to basically disown him. From this point on, Elgar begins to become more and more like his tenants.

So, does Elgar embody gentrification as it happens today? No. Rather than displace all of poor families that live in his neighborhood, he basically attempts to become one of them. I think it can even be said that Elgar’s actions were that of a revolting rich boy against his parents. He “ran away” to live on his own, then he had sex with a black women and continued to be in a relationship with another one. Every one of his actions were against what his parents desired. In my opinion, I don’t believe Elgar ever had a sincere interest in Park Slope.

This entry was posted in Blog 5. Bookmark the permalink.