The Power of a Box

I don’t think it comes as a surprise that one of the key elements of Radio Days (1987) deals with the power of the radio. The series of events in the film unfold through the recollection of different radio programs, songs, and talk shows. Joe’s mind recalls memories with the connection of radio. However, that’s only natural to connect a song with a certain memory. I would like to focus on how the radio has the power to bring folks together in the film, specifically with Joe’s family of course.

The scene that comes to mind first and foremost is the one where Joe’s mother is listening to the radio in the kitchen and the camera pans over to another location where the talk show hosts are living their lives of glamour (5:10). Joe’s family is consistently comparing their lives to those of the people who are on the other side of the radio. I think this is an important aspect of the family’s daily life, because these comparisons are what strike a lot of their discussions in the household. Radio has the power to control discussion.

The next scene that I find extremely interesting connects the family in a totally different way. Even when Joe recalls a radio show that only one of the family members listened to, other members would join in and it would create an occasion. When Joe’s cousin, Ruthie, is dancing to one of her favorite singers, she’s alone in her room, watching herself in the mirror (34:49). However, even though she was the only one that tuned into this show, Joe’s father and uncle, I believe he is, join in with her! This is my favorite scene, because it shows another power of radio. Radio has the power to connect family, even if the show only interests one of them.

Compared to Goodfellas (1990), Radio Days (1987) has a family style that is more genuine. What I mean by this is that the gangsters’ relationship is mainly run by fear. As I watched the film, it was disconcerting to know that violence was such a part of their daily lives. It made me feel that their relationships were artificial to an extent. However, in Radio Days, there is a clear family bond within the house. I think this is completely reasonable though. The idea of gathering around a radio to build relationships seems more realistic than bonding over a good ol’ murder. To throw in my opinion as a conclusion, I think that Radio Days is refreshing, because it shows positive relationships, even when there’s conflict. To end on my favorite scene, I’d like to point out the scene when the parents and the rabbi are arguing over who’s going to spank and discipline Joe (11:57). Even though they’re all hitting the boy, the scene maintains a light and humorous mood, because Joe knows that they mean well.

This entry was posted in Blog 8. Bookmark the permalink.