Jake Greenberg’s first 18

Dear class,

My name is Jake and I like sports, working-out, working, and partying with my squad. School is also fun, but only for the classes that challenge me/are interesting. In order to interest me I need to be able to apply the class to real world applications. In my opinion this class fits into that category. My other favorite classes are Philosophy and English because of their relevance to my future. I hope to graduate with Sports Marketing as my major, something that relies on being able to articulate ideas fluidly and efficiently (english) and understand people with an open mind (philosophy/moral reasoning).

Photo on 9-8-13 at 9.37 PM

Photo on 9-8-13 at 9.37 PM #3

Background: I grew up in Merrick, on Long Island. At 8 years old my parents split up and I had to stay with my mom. After a few years I moved with her to Cold Spring Harbor on the North Shore, where i spent 7th, 8th, and 9th grade playing basketball, football, and lacrosse. Sophmore year I finally moved back in with my dad in Bellmore (back on the south shore). During football I fractured my lower vertebra and Junior year I received surgery to correct it. Now I just play sports for fun and found that the new friends I made off the fields/courts are even more interesting than those jocks I was so used to hanging out with. Going into college I was skeptical, but I honest have made some of the best friendships someone could ask for, and so quick. The “crew” from the dorms and those kids I’ve befriended in class have honestly become like a big family. It feels strange to think how it was before I met them because how much they already mean to me. I truly believe most, if not all, of these people will become life-long friends because they show the qualities of not just great friends, but great people. For all of my friends reading this, however cheesy this all sounds, I really do mean what I say. You guys/girls are the best thing to happen to my life and I look forward to helping each other to reach our individual goals. Thank you for making college my new home.

Jake Greenberg