Cheng Dong- Metamorphosis Mood Diary

At the very start of the story the only thought I have, and I guess many others feel the same as I do, is “What The Hell!”. From the title I guessed that something would happen that involves changes in the book, but I expected it to be a gradual process in the story. The statement at the first line of the book about how a man turned into a cockroach overnight really took me by surprise.

surprise-05

After reading a while longer I am really quiet emotionally moved by Gregor. He wasn’t panicking when he found out that he turned into a bug like most of us would, but instead his first worry was that this state would prevent him from working and cause trouble for his family who all depends on his wage as a salesman. He reminds me of fireflies that give us the pleasure of watching their beautiful flashes in the expense of themselves.

firefly_led

As the lines passes I felt more and more depressed regarding the treatment of Gregor. He is ripped of his humanity not only by his transformation, but also by his family’s actions of taking away his possessions, refusing to attempt to communicate with him, and finally deserting him to die in hunger. Knowing what Gregor has done for them before his transformation, I really feel Gregor doesn’t deserve to end like this. This story presents to us how one’s outer appearance posses such great power that it could make us forget to consider one’s appearance in the inside.

inner-beauty-ugly-horrifying-demotivational-poster-1244693300