Metamorphosis Mood Diary

As a commuter, traveling to school in the morning is as dreary and dreaded as one can imagine.  When I take the train, the car is packed with professionals, everyone with the same expression, or lack thereof, the same glazed-over look.  This sleepy mood, repeated every workday of their existence, is what I pictured in the opening of the novella. This mood is the same for Gregor’s father as he adopts the role of caretaker in the novel. 

Gregor is a diligent worker that seems to live only for his work and supporting his family. Despite his changed condition and the narrator’s suggestion that he is not passionate about being a salesman, he wants to return to work.  The need to work and to support ones family is a huge theme in the novella.   The responsibility, once laid solely on Gregor, turns to the rest of his family.  I thought it was interesting how the toll of working played such a large role in the decaying of their family, particularly in the Father.  Both the father and Gregor lacked passion and love of their jobs, thus it took its toll. Like Gregor, we often do what we do (go to school, get a job, etc.) out of social expectation and necessity.

Metamorphosis is defined as the “process of transformation from an immature form to an adult form,” so I thought it was interesting how of all things, Gregor’s adult state is a cockroach.  Through this transformation, he remains human in his mind but his differences are highlighted by his physical change.  This alienates him from his family and his inability to fit in causes the events that lead to his death. I thought it was interesting to see how alienation and straying outside the limits of social acceptability can impact an individual and burden a family of community.

Metamorphosis Mood Diary — 1 Comment

1. First I wanted to comment on that picture! Good choice, I compared the visual themes in Metamorphosis to Tim Burtons style artwork.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvw3p4HUyi1qja8xco1_500.jpg

That piece is very similar to yours and they both have similar ideas. We’re often so concerned with everyday tasks, jobs, school etc. that we forget who we really are. I remember being frustrated at Gregor’s calm nonchalant attitude towards his transformation. But maybe that’s us everyday. We have changed, changed in something that we did not want to be, or imagined ourselves to be, yet we try to go on with our day-to-day life ignoring the change.

I’m still on the fence about what the transformation exactly represented though. I agree with what you called his adult form: the cockroach is Gregor’s final form, it’s a reveal of what he has become. I compared his alienation and ultimate death to the point where the change has reach such a level, that it’s impossible to function. Change in our live tends to be gradual and one day we’ll wake up, look in the mirror, and realize ourselves completely change. Perhaps it’s not as drastic as turning into a roach and dying, but it is similar to waking up to someone unfamiliar and able to function in the same way we once did, or same social environment.

Ultimately, I believe the purpose is to extract something useful and your comparison to our day to day lives is accurate.