Mood Diary: Metamorphosis

Reading The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka conjured up many different emotions inside me, as well as many different images. In a certain sense, I desired more from the text by craving more dialogue or action, but on the other hand, it is a positive that much of the novel was a narration of Gregor’s struggles. In this way, by helping me learn more about Gregor’s position and metamorphosis, I was able to connect and sympathize with him on a greater level. Otherwise I would have highly disliked him because I am extremely squeamish when it comes to bugs.

First off, the book began with Gregor waking up as an insect, yet still rushing to work. This reminded me of the rabbit from Alice and Wonderland who was rushing for a very important date with a giant pocket watch. The huge watch relays into Gregor’s life as well, since Gregor is so focused on the time. He is always concerned with making the right train at a certain time and making it to work on time, so that he can keep his job and support his family. Thus, this clip comes to mind:

During the story, one issue I had was trying to imagine how big Gregor was. On the one hand, I imagined him as a giant cockroach because everyone around him was so completely repulsed by his appearance, even though they knew it was Gregor. Meanwhile, I imagine he wasn’t so large, since he was able to fit under the sofa. The image of Gregor constantly hiding under the couch whenever his sister came into his room reminded me of a TV show. When I was younger I used to watch the Big Comfy Couch, and under the couch resided two dust bunnies Fuzzy and Wuzzy.

(I imagined Gregor’s situation to be quite similar to this whenever he hid under the sofa.)

Overall though, I was relatively upset with the tone of the story and the ending. When Gregor woke up as an insect, he still acted like the rabbit from Alice and Wonderland, paying no attention to his situation. His family similarly let me down, especially after their son’s passing. They simply shrugged it off and everyone was happy to move on with their lives. Thus, the family greatly reminded me of the movie Mean Girls and this image came to mind:MeanGirls

In the movie, the mean girls acted in a very unkind and elitist manner. Similarly, Gregor’s family lived a relatively relaxing life, and simply used their son to support the whole family. It was really unsettling though when Kafka finalized that the family didn’t really care about the son by displaying their emotions after his death. Sadly, the family wasn’t exactly upset and distressed; instead they were all taken over by a sense of calmness and relief.

By the end of the story, I highly disliked Gregor’s family, and was really upset that Gregor was gone. Meanwhile, his family went on with their lives, simply deciding to move to a different home, and leaving their current dwelling behind. This decision of picking up and moving was also extremely disappointing because Gregor had been able to provide all of that for them, so I imagined they would want to cherish it. Instead, the family was happy to realize that their daughter was grown-up and ready to be married off, simple forgetting about their son, and already excited about their future prospects. Thus, the story conjured up overall images of sadness, darkness and gloominess, and to me almost seemed like a black-and white film due to its morose nature.

FilmReel

Mood Diary: Metamorphosis — 5 Comments

1. Hey, I just read your blog and was wondering why you thought the family’s relief at Gregor’s death was so terrible? Gregor had obviously become nothing but a burden to his family, financially, socially, and psychologically. Also Gregor didn’t seem to be enjoying his life very much. He was constantly torn between trying to preserve his humanity while battling his cockroach instincts. Not to mention the family could not communicate with Gregor so they really had no way of knowing that the giant cockroach they found in bed one morning was in fact their son. I know if I found a giant cockroach in my sister’s bed one morning I would not assume it was her and proceed to care for it.

2. I agree with you on the last part. I hadn’t liked Gregor’s family because of their lack of empathy towards him and the quickness with which they moved on from his death though it never occurred to me that they ought to cherish the home that he bought for them. That was an interesting point and to me the decision to move to another home is like the final severance of their lives from Gregor. Their lack of interest in what the charwoman had done with his body and interest in what the future holds fueled my dislike towards them, especially after all that he had given up and done for them.
    And as far as black and white films are concerned; I can see the connection; many of them are somber in content and mood, even the comedies seem to have a depressing quality to them.

3. I like how you compared Gregor with the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland; I never even thought of that. I always thought Gregor was the size of a normal cockroach/beetle but was told that he was human-sized, so I’m not sure how big he was. I agree with you on disliking the family. It seemed as if the family simply used Gregor; they acted in a way that a family shouldn’t have, even if Gregor was no more than a burden after he became a bug.

4. Wow great call on the rabbit rushing in Alice in wonderland that is genius! Although I found the ending of the novel to be gloomy as well I cannot agree to be upset over his family over moving on. Okay they could have mourned a little and realized they lived the way they did thus far because of Gregor’s dedication to them but eventually they had to move on. They could not afford the apartment they had so they had to move, why should they wait. They also no longer need that extra room where Gregor lived, he’s dead. Grete was also going to get married soon and move on so she didn’t need a room either. Also I wrote in my mood diary about the size issue as well and I just wanted to share the plausible idea that maybe he was originally life-size because Kafka stated that when he fell to the floor it made a loud noise. Over time while he lost his humanity maybe his size decreased as well. Kafka wrote when they were clearing out his room he was able to stick his belly to the glass portion of the woman in fur on the wall.

5. I really liked your comment on how the story reminds you of a black and white film. Gregor’s family seems to be completely devoid of care for other individuals. After Gregor’s passing, they are relieved and discuss future prospects and seem to completely forget about their family member completely. Even renting a new place rather than remember Gregor and his contributions to their comfortable lifestyle before his transformation. I found this very disconcerting, and I too disliked his family.