Mood Diaries: Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka is an interesting story in which a hard working man, Gregor Samsa, is transformed into a bug. What is even more strange is that he is more concerned with getting to work to provide for his family than his transformation. Personally I liked how family oriented Gregor was, but I was upset by what kind of life he lived and how his family treated him.

Gregor’s life was lonely and work driven. He woke up early and went to work, at a job he hated with a boss that treated him poorly. When work was over he went home to rest and start the same routine the next day. Gregor had no personal life and or friends, all his money went to providing for his parents and sister. As I thought closely about Gregor’s life before his transformation I realized that he really did not change at all. Maybe Gregor just transformed into what he really was.

thI feel that Gregor’s transformation was him becoming the animal his life represented. Like a bug he went through his daily routine in order to survive. And also Gregor lived in isolation and was used by his family and boss. So like a bug he was avoided and figuratively stepped on.

After reading Metamorphosis I was angered by how Gregor’s family treated him. His life seemed said and boring and as the story progressed it made me feel worse for Gregor. Gregor was treated as a slave or servant, rather than a son or brother. He was forced to wake up early in the morning everyday to go to work, and I did so for a family that did not show any appreciation toward him. Reading how Gregor’s family relied on him for everything reminded me of two things. First, the fairy tale Cinderella and second of vultures. I relate Cinderella to Gregor because they were both made to wUnknownork for the benefit of their families. I also relate Gregor’s family to vultures because vultures are birds that wait for their prey to die before flying down to grab their meal. This is how Gregor’s family appeared to me because of the way they treated him. They used Gregor and watched as his life drained away while he was a man and allowed him to die as a bug. And from his death they reaped the benefits, like finding jobs of there own and trying to move into a more suitable house.

images-1I wonder what other animals could represent Gregor and his family?

Mood Diaries: Metamorphosis — 6 Comments

1. I agree with your statement that Gregor may have become the animal he represented. On a larger scope his life seems almost insignificant similar to a bug’s. Although this may be the case that he constantly repeated his days for the sake of his family, it is revealed that he is annoyed by his burden. At one point, he even mentions how once he pays off his family’s debt he will quit the job and do something worthwhile. His actions may represent a slave or bug, but he has much bigger ideas in mind for himself.

Gregor’s family did benefit greatly from his transformation, but only slightly from his death. Every member of his family found work and became able to support themselves. This means they were always capable of work, but choose to leave the burden to Gregor when he was working. By being incapable of work, he pushes his family to work and make their own living. Once Gregor died, the only benefit they gain is the release from his burden. The more significant portion was the process and the transformation his family experience to achieve a self sustaining livelihood. It is possible Gregor realized his work was done and his family can live without him. As a result he chooses to release them from the burden of caring for him. I agree his family seemed like vultures that only reaped benefits from Gregor, who only seems to care for them.

2. I am very intrigued by your observation that Gregor turned into an animal that best represented his personality. It’s true that Gregor’s life was very routine. He did the same thing everyday and faced a tedious, monotonous work schedule. He was almost like a worker bee.
    However, I’m not sure if comparing Gregor’s family to vultures is a right fit. I think they’re more like….hamsters? Gregor’s family does take care of Gregor but they slowly start to neglect him. I compare the family to hamsters since hamsters take care of their young but they may resort to cannibalism/infanticide (similar to what you said about “reaping the benefits”).
    My comparison is hardly perfect either, but I do find your animal comparisons to be very interesting.

3. I do agree with some of the points you made as well. I think that Gregor becoming a bug is a metaphor of his role in the family and society. He is a drone who works constantly for his family and is put down by his superiors. When he does go through his metamorphosis, I agree that he is avoided just like a pest. The only analogy you make I disagree with is comparing Gregor’s family to vultures. I don’t see the family being much better off after Gregor’s death. Grete, for example, could have gone to a music conservatory if Gregor was still able to work; she is put down by her parents in the end by their hopes to make her nothing less than a housewife. The family does become more emotionally sound after Gregor’s death. That may be one of the ways I do see the analogy of the family being vultures somewhat correct.

4. While I also felt angry that Gregor’s family treated him so poorly, I don’t think I would react any differently. Does this make me a bad person? Perhaps. The reason is because Gregor has completely metamorphosed into an animal that can no longer communicate and to the naked eye, he is simply just a huge cockroach. What I find interesting about humans is that we associate images with certain emotions. For example, many of us associate happiness with ice cream or at least the commercialized look of ice cream. Now let’s say that ice cream becomes a color like brown and it has a different texturity. Then, our view on ice cream changes. Grete and the rest of the family are experiencing this conflict where Gregor, someone they love, metamorphosizes into a cockroach, something they are disgusted by. Therefore, while I do feel that Gregor’s parents treated him badly, the way they reacted was simply human nature.

5. “As I thought closely about Gregor’s life before his transformation I realized that he really did not change at all. Maybe Gregor just transformed into what he really was.” That is very powerful and I completely agree with what you’re saying. Gregor’s life was a monotony of loneliness and work. Your point of being figuratively stepped on, just like a bug, also stuck with me. I can’t even imagine living a life like Gregor’s, even as a human. All he did was work to provide for his family, and in the end all they wanted was him dead. I also agree with the image of Cinderella being connected with Gregor. Like Gregor, she lived a very monotonous, lonely life. Unlike Cinderella, Gregor unfortunately doesn’t have a godmother (which definitely could have come in handy in transforming him back into a human) or a happily ever after! I can also definitely see Gregor’s family as vultures, which is very sad.

6. I completely agree with you when you said how Gregor lived a lonely, work driven life. He had no time to think about himself and put in all his hard work to support his family. His values put his family before him, which is very important, but he also needed to value himself more. This is where I connect your Cinderella picture to, because Cinderella worked for her family but did not resist or question her duties; she continued each day doing the same routines, just like Gregor did.
    If I were to think of Gregor as an animal, I would say he represents a penguin in the sense that the male penguin cares for the baby in its youth. This image reminds me of how Gregor takes good care of his sister and tries to provide for her more than he needs to. He never stops thinking about his family and worries about them, even when he should be worrying about himself turning into a bug.