Mood Diary on “Metamorphosis”

When I first heard of Metamorphosis, I was curious as to what this book could possibly be about. To be honest, I was surprised, and a little grossed out, that this book was about a person turning into a cockroach. Regardless, I think the fact that something unexpected happened is what compelled me to continue reading.

Personally, I didn’t find anything wrong with Gregor’s obsessiveness to get out of bed, catch the train, and be at work. When someone like Gregor has no other choice but to work in order to support the family, work is probably Gregor’s number one priority. Even though Gregor got turned into a cockroach, he was determined to get to work somehow, and I think that is something admirable and naive of Gregor. However, I do agree that Gregor should have at least been a little more shocked that he turned into a bug.

http://intrap3rsonal.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kafka1.jpg

Another aspect of the book that surprised me is how Gregor was treated by every other character in the book. Mr. Samsa was violent with Gregor. I understand that Mr. Samsa did what he did, for example throwing the apples, to protect the rest of his family; however, Gregor is still part of that family even though he is a bug. Aren’t parents suppose to display unconditional love toward their children? I loved how the sister looked out for Gregor in the beginning of the book. The chores and errands Gregor’s sister did remind me of the housework that Cinderella did.

cinderella_image_aouvJBZNMxyemh8

However, I did not like how her care for Gregor changed as the book progressed. Gregor’s sister, who was once meticulous in cleaning Gregor’s room, started to nonchalantly sweep Gregor’s room and randomly give food to Gregor without taking into account what he didn’t eat from the previous pile of food, or the fact that he hadn’t touched his food! The four characters whose response to Gregor that I found intriguing are the three merchants and the second maid. The three merchants didn’t care that there was a bug in the house the first time they saw Gregor. The second maid was fascinated with Gregor.

I was mad at the family for their care of Gregor, and I was sympathetic towards Gregor. I was floored that the family was genuinely happy that Gregor died. Had they forgotten that the bug was a family member?

I see many underlying messages in this book that can be applied in modern day. Another way the title can be applied besides the actual metamorphosis of Gregor is the change in the family. Regardless of appearance, everyone has feelings and is human! I can’t imagine how Gregor’s family felt when Gregor transformed into a bug; however, that doesn’t give the family any reason to not show respect and love towards Gregor.

Mood Diary on “Metamorphosis” — 1 Comment

1. I first want to say your mood diary was very well written and I truly appreciate the examples your brought up such as Cinderella. What I agreed with most is how disheartening the families transformation was. Whereas at the beginning I felt pride for the sister that she stood up for her brother and helped him out, by the end of the novel I was angry at her for who she became. It makes me wonder had I undergone some sort of metamorphosis how my family would react.