From Tradition to Transition: A Rockette’s Story

Born and raised in the New York City area, I always looked forward to the holiday season in November and December. From school days off to celebrating with the family, I had many reasons to enjoy the season. In New York City, the holiday season is particularly special because the entire city brightens up with decorations, lights, and excited people all looking forward to the various holidays to celebrate. One of the main venues that attract the most attention is the Radio City Music Hall that hosts the Christmas Spectacular for about 3 months. The stars of the show are the Rockettes, known for their perfect alignment and traditional kick line.

In Gia Kourlas’ article, What, No Kick Line? A Novelty From the Rockettes, she explains how the new spring production, featuring the Rockettes, plans on changing up the tradition and removing the kick line dance technique. By explaining what the director of the production has in mind and tracing the tradition back to the beginning of the Rockettes, Kourlas sheds light on the fact that our modern world is changing quickly and those old traditions are becoming a thing of the past and not the present.

rockettes

Introducing this new style will show viewers of the show that the Rockettes are more than just a Christmas “Spectacular”, they are genuine dancers. The director is quoted in the article to have said, “This is not a book musical, and it’s not a revue…It’s like its own animal.” By calling it an “animal”, she shows that ferocity the Rockettes have in their dance performances, but she wants to take it to another step. Even though this may be seen as risky, I find this change very refreshing. Personally, I don’t always like to follow tradition; I like to experience change, whether it’s slow or sudden. The director is being inspirational and I hope other productions follow suit.

Ms. Haberman, the director, states that she doesn’t think she is breaking tradition, but the fact the Rockettes are starring in a spring show does imply they are. Kourlas’s view sounds indifferent to the article and I think everyone should be somewhat indifferent as well because it clears their mind of any bias and they can watch the production with an open mind. Living in New York City requires people to adapt to drastic change, such as a subway line suddenly discontinuing for a period of time. If we were to automatically think the director is doing a foul move, then we would all not want to see the spring show, just continue to watch the traditional Radio City one. The kick line might be the best technique by the Rockettes, but in reality it’s their whole dance that embodies their nature. The Rockettes don’t merely symbolize Christmas in New York City, they symbolize New York City itself, and that’s what Haberman is trying to show.

Source:

Kourlas, Gia. “What, No Kick Line? A Novelty From The Rockettes” New York Times. 17 September 2013. Web. 17 September 2013.

From Tradition to Transition: A Rockette’s Story — 8 Comments

1. I have a different point of view, no offense obviously. I believe traditions are there for a reason and should be kept that way. If I experience something now and love it and it changes my life or point of view as a show may be so moving that it does, I would like to revisit that experience again when I am older to reflect. I would want to see how it makes me feel now and how it will later, and I think that the show as famous as the Radio City Music Spectacular should be consistent, not exactly the same necessarily. I feel it’d be the same as reading a great book and then someone walking in and tearing out a chapter and replacing it with a “new and improved” one. There is a reason I liked the book and it should be the same when I want to revisit it. Thats just my opinion on why I don’t think they should make this change.

2. This news is definitely so noteworthy and I’m glad you chose this article, since I think this change is definitely huge. I agree with Ken, I’m not a fan of change but even more so when it comes to long-lived traditions like the Christmas Spectacular. Like you, I also grew up in New York City and I’m in love with the holiday season here as well. The Rockettes at Radio City have been around as long as I remember and even though I don’t see them every year, it’s always a comfort knowing the long –legged girls who have perfect synchronization and meticulous details in their technical movement are performing daily in the heart of the city. So removing that, even though it doesn’t affect me directly, is heartbreaking. It also reminds me how fragile one’s dance career is. For example, Traci Reszetylo, who has danced with the Rockettes for years believing she had a stable position, is now unsure of where she stands in being selected for the new production. I’m glad they’re expanding their repertoire, but I feel like it would’ve been more effective if it were in addition to the Christmas Spectacular, not a complete replacement.

3. I can see why Haberman would want to do this spring production, because she wants to show that the dancers who are known for the Rockette line are more than just that. That there is a whole other layer to them aside from being the “Christmas Spectacular” dancers. And I suppose, as one of the dancers I would be excited to delve into a new production that could have the potential to further showcase my talent that otherwise would not be seen in the Christmas performance.
    As a member of the public however, I would rather the Rockettes keep to tradition instead of expanding into “modern” territory. It is true that our society is constantly moving forward but if a change is not necessary than I believe that we should stick to what works. And the truth of the matter is that the Rockettes Christmas production works. It has been around for a very long time and each year thousands of people go to their performances, even those who have seen it numerous times before.
    I do not fault Haberman for wanting to expand into new territory, I can even see myself doing the same if I were in her position. However, I would not make a single change to their Christmas production, much less cancel it because some traditions are meant to be kept and cherished.

4. Perhaps I am reading this article wrong, but I see no mention of the Christmas Spectacular being removed and replaced with this new age show. Rather, the Rockettes now have more on their repertoire. I think this is great as the dancers can showcase their talent and prove that they can perform a larger variety of dances than those in the Christmas Spectacular. I too, like tradition but I can appreciate Linda Haberman’s audacity to explore the various talents of such dancers. I am very excited for both the Christmas Spectacular and the spring show of “Hearts and Lights”.

5. I’m also very into Christmas, and enjoying the holiday in the city. I’ve seen the Radio City Christmas Spectacular countless times, and to me, the Rockettes mean so much more than just dancers: they’re a part of Christmas in New York. I’m usually anti-change; I’m more comfortable in things that I’m familiar with remaining the same. Yet, like Kevin, I don’t see this replacing the Rockettes and their Christmas signature style (maybe we’re just both wrong?). I think this is merely an addition, and this is a good thing for them. These girls are professional dancers and if they have a chance to do even more of what they love, so be it! On the plus side, the new spring show sounds really cool and I think I’d be interested in it. But don’t get me wrong, I’m still awaiting the Rockettes at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, signifying the Christmas season has truly begun.

6. I have to start of by saying that I’ve never actually seen the Christmas Spectacular. Although I don’t celebrate Christmas, I very much aware of the traditions associated with Christmas, and the overall atmosphere jolly atmosphere of the city near Christmas time. The popularity of the Christmas Spectacular and the Rockettes is so widespread that even though I’ve never seen the actual show, I can picture the moment of the kick line in my head because of the TV ads, posters and online ads that I’ve seen growing up in NYC. I even associate the traditional kick line with the Rockettes and Christmas time in the city. I have to agree with Ken in that I believe traditions should be kept traditions. I understand that the director, Ms. Haberman wanted to push the Rockettes in a new direction, but I don’t think it was necessary to remove the famous kick line from the performance. She could’ve added without subtracting. Ultimately, I’m making this judgement without having seen the show. My opinion is almost entirely based on the fact that the image of the Rockettes in my mind is their traditional kick line. Maybe it’s time for me to actually check out the Christmas Spectacular.

7. I’m very disappointed in the director’s action of removing the kickline to prove that the Rockettes are actually “genuine dancers.” Not only is their kickline a New York tradition, (Like come on! Who sings along to Sinatra’s “New York, New York” without attempting to create their own kickline?) it’s actually an incredibly difficult technique which requires flexibility, core-strength, and precision so that not one dancer is distinguishable from another. I don’t know what else the director wants from Rockettes or what the director wants to prove to the public, but I’m pretty sure their fans respect the Rockettes as they are.

8. First of, I would like to say that I think the Christmas “Spectacular” commercial is the first indicator that Christmas is here. I have always loved their show and go every year with my friends. When I heard about the fact that they would be getting more dance showtime, I didn’t even realize that all I have seen them in was the Christmas show and all I had a memory of were the kickline. It is interesting to read about the debate of traditions and times changing, but I honestly feel that as dancers, they shouldn’t be limited to only that one show because that is all they will be remembered by.
    I also think that because of the fact they have one dance show and many people already know their dances, many people do not have as much respect for them professionally as they would any other dancer. I am a huge fan of their dancing and I would love to see them in more shows and this would allow people to see more of what they can do.