Metamorphosis Curate

As I read the Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka and saw it performed in a dance at the Joyce Theater, I was given a view of the daily life of an ordinary man, Gregor Samsa, and his grotesque transformation into an insect. A metamorphosis can be defined as change of the form or nature of a thing or person into a completely different one. Gregor’s life epitomizes change and throughout the story the minor characters also change.

When I think of metamorphosis I imagine a cycle, just like in school when a child watches a caterpillar transform into a beautiful butterfly. After reading the story I could see that Gregor and the Samsa family went through a cycle from: beginning, routine, change, shock, exile, and finale. A cycle that would probably begin again as in the story Gregor dies and his sister Grete is looked at to take his place. The order in which these photos are displayed are in order to convey this cycle.

This gallery consists of photos from: Joeleen Moy, Hanna Utkin, Khrystyna Melnyk, Nicholas Arniotes, Samantha Chiu, Nicolette Belitsis

Metamorphosis Curate — 7 Comments

1. I like what you did with the sequencing of these pictures. As I look through your gallery, I feel like you are showing the cycle of Metamorphosis’ plot. I see Gregor waking up at dawn and going to work with his briefcase. I assume that you used the fly to display Gregor’s transformation and that ridiculous picture of me is the shock the family felt. I see Gregor shunned in the dog picture and a new beginning for the Samsa’s with the picture of dawn. I think that your gallery is really nice and it succeeds in bringing out your intended theme.

2. I like your focus on the themes of cycles. I thought that it was something that we should have been discussed more since Kafka pointedly presents Grete’s metamorphosis at the end of the novel. I also like how that your theme is presented in the photos you chose and their sequence. The cycle is evident in the images. Its interesting to think about how Grete will complete her metamoprhosis and whether or not she will become like Gregor.

3. I like your sequence! It actually is pretty similar to mine, coincidentally, we used 3 of the same pictures to represent similar but different ideas. Although my exhibition focused on the daily routine, yours focuses on change. It’s amazing how similar or same pictures can represent vastly different ideas. I also agree with Nicholas’ comment that your sequence describes the plot of the story. However I would’ve been interested to see a representation of his sister at the end rather than the sunset that suggests routine. Good post!

4. I like your inclusion of the Samsa family changing as whole. While reading the novel, I only focused on Gregor’s transformation, but I have to agree with your idea that the entire family changed. The family had to learn to deal and cope with something they never imagined would ever happen. The six images you chose portray a cycle from start to end because each picture gradually leads to the next. I like how your first picture shows the sun rising and the last picture is a sunset. The picture right before the last to me represents Gregor taking his last glimpse of life.

5. Now that you mention it, I totally see the cycle in metamorphosis. I like how every photo is cyclic from the day changing to growing a moustache. I also like the order so not only is it 6 different cycles but it initially forms one cycle. Your images are definitely relevant and focused on the topic.

6. It is very appropriate that the photo collage goes fluidly with the summary above it. I like the idea of change and the fact that you didn’t focus solely on Gregor, but also his family. What I like also is that each picture can be understood for your intention even without a title. I do think you should have made a slide show to go with the fluidity of your photos and response. I also disagree with the fact that it is simply about change, it has to do with the power of emotions of one person on an entire family. This is very similar to another good response made by Nabil.

7. I loved how your exhibition went through a cycle of Gregor’s life because it also showed just how boring and ordinary it was. The exhibition was quite fluid and a great sense of connection between the story and Gregor’s feelings. I agree with Jake that we understood your theme without the title because it was clearly thought out and the pictures were put in a specific order to create an effect as well. Great job!